You may or may not know my house has been on the market. I am renting where I live but have an investment property elsewhere. We pulled it yesterday and will be moving into it. It’s the right decision for us at this time. Whilst I like where I currently live and would like to stay close to my family, it is better for us to go back to Sydney.
Renting our house out has been a great experience, but without selling it, I can’t buy here, but here is so over priced it’s ridiculous. I’d be in a whole lot of debt to be able to afford it and rent here is unbelievably expensive.
Why not just keep renting where we are? We could, but there’s many reasons I don’t want to. One of the big ones is we live on a busy street which makes life hard. My eldest can undo all the locks on the front door now and get out or let her sister out which is scary. I also can’t hang out the washing because we have to go upstairs and with the 2 kids it is quite hard to keep an eye on them, make sure they don’t fall down or go down the stairs, touch anything they shouldn’t, run onto the road etc... It is a nightmare trying to hang the washing.
By moving back I will be able to save so much money and even make more money. Why?
• I can have chickens which would mean free range eggs, fertiliser etc...
• I can have a vegetable garden and fruit trees. Something I have wanted for a long time. I have some herbs in pots here, but it’s not the same.
• I can install water tanks if I want.
• I can have a solar cooker and dehydrator saving on electricity
• I can hang my washing outside
• My kids can play in the backyard instead of having to go to a park
• We can be outside more = more vitamin D (which I am deficient in and have to take supplements) I could drop the supplements (I was not deficient when I lived there before)
• LOTS of work for both my husband and I close to our house
• Everything is walking distance or not far
• More free events/shows/things to do
• Repairs to the house can be done over time by us (HUGE savings can be made there)
• Food/petrol/everything is cheaper there than here. Petrol by as much as 15c a Litre!
Those are just some of the reasons. Yes, I know my vegetable garden won’t happen instantly, but my mother in laws is over flowing there and she’s love to share more of it with me if I lived closer.
Oh, yeah and I always find great furniture/clothes/everything I want/need in the second hand shops there, plus there is more on freecycle/ebay etc... that is close to that house.
Yes, there are many reason to move back. We left for really good reasons too and thankfully much of that seems to have solved itself. I did vow never to move back there, but I guess I have to eat my words.
I knew a while ago I should move back, but desperately did not want to, mostly out of pride. Pride can cost you though and I would rather my family be happy and saving money rather than be living somewhere because I want to be there and won’t swallow my pride and move to somewhere I know would suit us better.
I won’t be moving until November and I have lots happening in my life before then, but I’ll keep you updated.